photo ea8ce356-0b08-49b7-86a8-097fec8d74bb_zpssrpsdstx.jpg

Search Mirror Dance


Eleanor_Cowper

Visit Us on Facebook

Facebook Page
 

Illusionist Blossoms

Illusionist Blossoms
by Robert Shmigelsky

Photobucket


Stretching, spreading upwards
from the ground, the stem
from which bends—a bulb,
white, funneled, and closed.

Opening only once before withering,
illusionist blossoms do not open
for any ordinary reason:
a certain time of day or night
or only during a certain season.

Each flower waiting for a specific moment,
illusionist blossoms only bloom
on those rare unmatched events
when near the end of the night
the fates seem to have arranged
something extraordinary to occur:
such as lovers’ first embrace,
a novelist finishing his masterpiece.

When destinies collide,
great potential reached,
seven star-shaped leaves
slowly part open,
revealing in tiny measures
a lustrous white cloud within;
from which flows out
wisps of light
that, touching the ground,
spring up into illusions
of those embracing,
memories of days spent in slow toil,
and all the other marvels, imaginable
and unimaginable.

When illusions end, fade away
new illusionist blossoms pop up,
replacing the one that gave way.

* * *


Robert Shmigelsky is an aspiring fantasy writer taking English courses at Okanagan College to try to improve his writing. He says: Besides reading and writing, some of my hobbies include computers, football and history. I have a dry sense of humour, which I blame my stepfather for. Also, I have a habit of making history jokes no one but me understands. I am currently working as a certified care aide in beautiful British Columbia to support my writing.

Where do you get the ideas for your poems?

My ideas generally come to me while listening to music. When you're feeling a little out of it, nothing gets you going like a little inspiration.
Sometimes it helps just to start jotting ideas down. I believe 90% of what writers conjure up is unintentional. I have this idea in my head I'm busy translating onto paper and the next thing I know what I'm writing is completely different than what I originally intended.

In this case, the idea came to me while writing a short story about a gardener and I decided I needed to invent my own kind of flowers.

0 comments: