photo ea8ce356-0b08-49b7-86a8-097fec8d74bb_zpssrpsdstx.jpg

Search Mirror Dance


Eleanor_Cowper

Visit Us on Facebook

Facebook Page
 

The Modern Procurement of Muses

The Modern Procurement of Muses
A. J. Huffman

Photobucket


It was you
who built these strings
from my wrists.
From my back.
And turned me
into a play.
For death.
But now my dancing is not enough.
Not dark enough.
Not deep enough.
For you to seep into.
So you cut my face.
Into a deeper smile.
Frozen.
For the feeling
it scrapes
into your skin.

* * *


A. J. Huffman is a poet and freelance writer in Daytona Beach, Florida. She has previously published her work in literary journals, in the U.K. as well as America, such as Avon Literary Intelligencer, Eastern Rainbow, Medicinal Purposes Literary Review, The Intercultural Writer's Review, Icon, Writer's Gazette, and The Penwood Review.

Where do you get the ideas for your poetry?
My poems tend to literally pop into my head randomly. In almost little "movie clips". It's odd and hard to explain. They just kind of show up.

What inspires you to write and keep writing?
I've been writing since I was in grade school. I actually cannot imagine getting up and not writing. It would be like getting up and not getting dressed. It's second nature to me now.

What do you think is the most important part of a fantasy poem?
The imagery. Definitely the imagery.

What do you think is the attraction of the fantasy genre?
For me, it's about going somewhere else. I'm constantly surrounded by "real life" and it gets old fast. Sometimes it's nice to take a breath in another atmosphere.

What advice do you have for other fantasy poets?
Don't let the critics get to you. When I was in school, the genre writers were looked down upon. But like us or hate us, our work is just as meritable as any other style. So keep working.

0 comments: